Friday, September 25, 2009

It was Hughesnet.

There is a website called www.datastormusers.com.
Where people go to who have a Datastorm Satellite System.

And quite some people do actually.
Because this Datastorm Satellite System is very erratic.
All users run eventually into serious problems.
And have to learn tons of knowledge about how the system works to fix it and have it work again.
The Motosat Datastorm Satellite System is so full of flaws and problems that users write things like:

"I look forward to the day when something else more reliable comes available.
Then I will gladly back-up the motorhome to a dumpster and slide the Motosat into it."


Now that the Fuso Szulc Datastorm Satellite System is working again after a breakdown of 4 days, the website www.datastormusers.com was visited.
Where it was learned that the recent problems were not caused by lightning corrupting software in the modem.
But that Hughesnet, the company that runs the SatMex5 satellite, was fooling with it, resulting in thousands of people unable to access internet.
They all pay Hughesnet about $ 75 a month for the possibility to access internet but Hughesnet doesn't mind to disconnect part of their clientele for days at a time.
Probably in the small letters of the agreement Hughesnet is freed of any claims.

Logically, when a Datastorm Satellite System refuses to work, the user
first suspects something is wrong with the own hardware and software.
Because most know it is such an unreliable system.
Trying to solve the problem they become rather desperate when this has no results.
Probably from a nearby Internet-café they send messages to the www.datastormusers.com website.

Like Jim :

I had to stow the dish last night due to 60mph wind gusts.
Upon redeploying this a.m., it won't connect again.
I had written down azimuth, elevation and skew when it was connected and set the dish manually after over 45 minutes of searching.
I have tv back again, but still no internet.
I have disconnected and reconnected all interior and exterior connections.
Am I correct in assuming that it is not the D3 since it found the other 2 sats?
I'm really at a loss so figured I would ask the forum for help before I call Datastorm Support.

Thanks,

Jim

And Pat:

Had same problem as Jim & Linda noted today with 117W satellite. Tried all of the things that they did and found two satellites (103W & 101W), but kept getting message "transmitter unavailable due to receive signal problems and Receiver not locked to a signal. Receive cable fault suspected". Now, after shutting everything off and unplugging and plugging in, I am getting message that the system does not find the LNB. HELP! Can anyone help me? I am in an area where I am not finding any dealers. Thanking you in advance.

Pat


And Ted:

I raised my jacks yesterday about 4:30PM EST to adjust my level on the coach. I was connected fine at the time. During the stow and re-level I lost signal. I have not been able to get my D2 to lock on a satellite since then. Is my failure to lock on a sat the same problem with SAT MEX5 117 you speak of here? I am parked the same place I have been for a month. Thanks,

Ted

And Avantol:

I am seeing a similar problem, I think. (on 117W/1230, have F1/D2)
I stowed after months of normal operation, now I don't get an SQ higher than 29, and never lock on. It continues to try and peak the signal.
(That 29 number sounds familiar... wasn't that a sign of a bad connector?)
The unit is 6 months since total replacement at MotoSAT.
Is this part of a general problem with 117W?

Suggestions appreciated... thanks.

Then expert Bill Adams writes:

SatMex 5 at 117W is totally screwed!
How this Hughes mess is going to work out over the next few weeks is unknown but my personal recommendation for those who do not need to be on 117W for Mexico should consider moving to a different satellite.

There are two options:

1/
Just live with the many problems this Motosat Datastorm Satellite System is frequently having.
To fight one's way through them each time.
And to wait until a new and better system comes on the market.

2/
To give up the Motosat Datastorm Satellite System and the desire to want to be on line anytime anywhere.
To simply live in the RV without internet.
And go to internet-café's when in town.

The best for life, health and peace of mind is option 2.
But business, quality of social life and security forces to go for option 1.





.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Hughes can be a bit of a pain at times.

I've learned not to tear my system apart looking for problems that aren't there, the instruction manual that came with my tripod internet system said that if you can't immediately solve a problem, take a break and get a coffee then go back at it in an hour or so, great advice!

The other advantage that I have is that the tripod system is simpler, just the dish and the Hughes modem, there is no "handshaking" between the Datastorm and the Hughes modem. Aiming the dish manually is easy, I can be up and running in 30 minutes after starting unpacking and assembly exercise. It's the KISS theory (keep it simple S...).

Al.