Thursday, September 9, 2010

Beginning to see the beautiful light

There is music that has the magical effect of having anyone dance instantly.
The rhythm, the singing, the drums and guitars, the lyrics and the melody, they stir something deep inside that in this way is waked up.
Maybe the connection we secretly have with the cosmos comes alive.
Or the primal feelings sleeping in us for millions of years.

One song that has this magical effect is from a band called “The Velvet Underground”.
An American band with Lou Reed and John Cale from the 60’s.
The song is titled: “Beginning to see the light”.
With these lyrics:


Well I'm beginning to see the light.
Some people work very hard,
But still they never get it right.
Now I'm beginning to see the light.

Wine in the morning
And some breakfast at night.
Well I'm beginning to see the light.
Here we go again
Playing the fool again.
Here we go again
Acting hard again.
Now I'm beginning to see the light.


I wore my teeth in my hands
So I could mess the hair of the night
Hey I'm beginning to see the light.

I met myself in a dream
And I just wanna tell you - everything was alright
I'm beginning to see the light.

Here comes two of you,
Which one will you chose?
One is black, one is blue.
Don't look just what to do.
Now I'm beginning to see the light.


Some people work very hard
But still they never get it right
Well I'm beginning to see the light.

There are problems in these times
But none of them are mine
Baby, I'm beginning to see the light.

Here we go again,
I thought that you were my friend.
How does it feel to be loved?



One of the lines that stands out in this song is:

I met myself in a dream
And I just wanna tell you - everything was alright
I'm beginning to see the light.


Remarkable because Lou Reed laughs in a cute way when he explains that everything was alright with what he saw of himself in his dream.

This comes very close to one of the questions the amazing journalist asked last Tuesday during the interview about the project “The most beautiful people in the world” .
She asked: “But, do you feel yourself you are the most beautiful person in the world?”
A tough question.
But then she was a good journalist and those ask the questions in a way that an evading reply is impossible.
Because that has been done in interviews until now.
When a journalist asked this question the answer always was that a messenger never has an opinion.
He is just the stage builder on which other people can perform.
But this time this mask-like answer could not be given.
Therefore, after some reflection, the opinion was expressed that, yes, indeed, this is the most beautiful person in the world.
Why, the insisting journalist asked with a very serious expression on the face.
More reflection was needed and eventually from the caves of the brains the answer came that life was more bearable, pleasant and easy when believing to be the most beautiful person in the world.
Together with many others of course.
This is similar to what Lou Reed was saying and singing in “Beginning to see the light”.
We are not perfect, but nevertheless everything of us can be alright and beautiful.




.

No comments: